From murder mysteries and animated musicals to dramatic stories and original dance, the Department of Theater and Dance’s 2022-23 season will take audiences on a journey to the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point.
“This season is themed ‘What Lies Beneath’ as it is specifically designed to take audiences on a journey through timeless stories, emotions and ideas,” said Department Head Professor Michael Estanich. “Each show has a central character who, upon completion of their transformation, reveals something deeper about themselves and our world.”
Previous season and First Nighters ticket holders can begin purchasing season tickets or dinner packages on Monday, August 15. General ticket sales, packages and individuals, begin on Thursday, September 1st. University Information and Ticketing Center websitecall 715-346-4100 or go to the Information and Ticketing desk in the lobby of Dreyfus University.
The First Nighters package includes a pre-show cocktail (cash bar), dinner, and ticket to opening night performances of all six productions on the Main Stage and the Studio Theater. The full season pass includes discounted tickets to all eight performances – two staged readings, two plays, two musicals and two dance concerts. Customers select the date and time for each individual show in the season.
Two staged readings will be offered at the UW-Stevens Point campuses in Stevens Point, Marshfield, and Wausau. Other shows will take place at the Jenkins and Studio Theaters at the UWSP Noel Fine Arts Center.
Performances will include:
- “The murder of Agatha Christie on the Orient Express“, Sept. 29 at UWSP in Wausau, Sept. 30-Oct. 1 at the main campus UW-Stevens Point and 2 October at UWSP in Marshfield.
This staged reading takes place on the famous train as passengers rely on detective Hercule Poirot to find the murderer among them.
- “Wolves,” Oct. 14-16 and 20-22, UWSP Studio Theater
This drama depicts an indoor soccer team of American girls as they face big questions and fight small battles.
- “Afterimages 2022”, November 10-13, UWSP Studio Theater
An evening of original dances created, performed and designed by students, Afterimages showcases a variety of dance styles including jazz, tap, contemporary and ballet.
- “A Christmas Carol, the Musical” December 2-4 and 8-10, Jenkins Theater
A family musical adaptation by Broadway heavyweights tells the story of miserly Ebenezer Scrooge and his ghostly visits on Christmas Eve.
- “farm animalFebruary 9, 2023 at UWSP Marshfield, February 10-11 at UW-Stevens Point Main Campus, and February 12 at UWSP Wausau
This staged reading is based on George Orwell’s book which parodies totalitarianism through the lives of animals who take over their farms.
- “The Misanthrope” March 3-5 and 9-11, 2023, UWSP Jenkins Theater
A drama about a man who declares he will only tell the truth and falls in love with his polar opposite.
- “Amelie”, April 14-16 and 20-22, 2023, Studio Théâtre UWSP
A musical story about an imaginative dreamer who lives quietly in the world but loudly in her mind, seeing possibilities around every corner.
- “In step 2023”, May 5-7, 2023, UWSP Jenkins Theater
A dance concert featuring premieres by dance program teachers and guest artists.