Metro wire staff
The live theater and dance performances will return to UW-Stevens Point this fall, bringing two musicals, one play, one original play, two dance concerts and two staged readings to audiences at college stages.
The school’s theater and dance department’s “Back to the Boards” season packages, the First Nighters dinner series and individual show tickets are on sale from Wednesday, September 1. For prices and options, go to tickets.uwsp.edu, call 715-346-4100, or visit the information and ticket office of the Dreyfus University Center.
Two different readings will be offered during the year at UW-Stevens Point campuses in Stevens Point, Marshfield and Wausau. Other shows will take place in the Jenkins and Studio theaters at UW-Stevens Point Noel Fine Arts Center.
“We look forward to welcoming you back to our spaces to experience the vibrant energy that only a live performance creates – a remarkable shared experience between audience and performer,” said Michael Estanich, chairman of the department, in a press release Tuesday.
The performances will include:
- “Passage,” September 23-24 at UW-Stevens Point main campus, September 25 at UWSP in Marshfield and September 26 at UWSP in Wausau
Directed Reading – The play explores the relationships between people from different countries and how power imbalances affect personal dynamics.
- “Red velvet,” October 8-10 and 14-16, UWSP Studio Theater
This drama takes place at the Theater Royal in London in 1833 when a black American actor was cast to play the lead role as audiences raged in the streets over the abolition of slavery.
- “In the woods,” November 5-7 and 11-13, UWSP Jenkins Theater
Stephen Sondheim’s musical follows fairytale characters as they cross paths and weave their stories together, making choices and dealing with consequences.
- “Afterimages 2021”, December 3-5, UWSP Jenkins Theater
An original dance performance directed, choreographed, performed and designed by students.
- “The shadow box” February 9 at UWSP in Marshfield, February 10-11 at UWSP and February 12 at UWSP in Wausau
Directed reading – Three families come to terms with the inevitability of death in this eloquent, humorous and haunting play.
- An original and imagined piece, 4-6 and 10-12 March, to be confirmed
The play will be directed and designed by Visiting Assistant Professor Elizabeth Parks with a group of students.
- “Cabaret,” April 15-16 and 21-23, UWSP Jenkins Theater
This musical explores the dark and seedy life of bohemian Berlin in 1929 as Germany slowly gives in to the ominous emergence of the Third Reich.
- “In the 2022”, May 6-8 and 11-13, UWSP Studio Theater
A dance concert featuring new creations by dance program teachers and guest artists.